By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Return to work

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Enfys

Return to work

Post by Enfys »

Just wondered what people have done about returning to work?
I have quite an intense and active job and so am signed off until next week so that’ll be 4 weeks post op. But I’ve had a wound infection and on antibiotics now so wounds are still quite raw and tender and difficult to bend/lift and so being cautious as belly button is still not healed properly.
Is phased return a reasonable thing to do and how did people find this with employers? I’m still getting tired and having emotional days/moments. I have a person facing role in health care so just bearing in mind I may see triggering things.

LTQKVS

Re: Return to work

Post by LTQKVS »

Hey,

I had 7 weeks off in the end I kept thinking I was going back and then didn’t because I wasn’t right emotionally and physically - I also got an infection post op and suffered with dizziness for some time- I still do a bit. I then did a phased return for a few weeks and now I’m taking annual leave here and there as past of my phased return. My employers have been fairly supportive of this. I found it difficult but try listen to you and take it at your pace at going back x

Enfys

Post by Enfys »

Thank you that’s really helpful. I’ve got a wound infection too so things taking longer.

LTQKVS

Post by LTQKVS »

I think we all need at least 6 weeks off given what we have been through! Take care and hope you heal up soon x

Enfys

Post by Enfys »

Thank you ❤️really hope you’re doing okay

EPT Host 22

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Enfys,

I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss. What you have experienced is physical and emotional trauma, and recovery from each takes some time. It's so important to be kind to yourself right now and take the time that you need. Every woman's journey is so different. Often, the physical healing happens before the emotional. Some days are good, some not as good. Little by little, life begins to feel a bit more normal. Not that we forget, but we grieve, and the intensity of early days passes.

If you are able, I'd have a conversation with your manager. You might be able to start back a few days a week. Some women find the distraction of doing other things helpful, but equally, it's important to monitor the toll on your body and mind. Sick time is also very useful if you need additional time. You are not taking advantage of it; you have been through incredible trauma.

Be kind to yourself in your recovery. We suffer both physical and emotional trauma through ectopic pregnancy, and it can take some time to feel back to ourselves. Please know we are here for you for as long as you need.

With good wishes,

Michele

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811 (England & Wales) SC053187 (Scotland)
The EPT is awarded the PIF TICK as a Trusted Information Creator, the UK-wide quality mark for healthcare information

If the information provided here or through the EPT website has helped you, you can donate towards our support services, volunteer, or fundraise to raise awareness.

Further information is available on our website.

Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk

We provide a call-back support line: 020 7733 2653. We are able to provide support in multiple languages including British Sign Language.

Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list.

Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Bo_Bemma

Post by Bo_Bemma »

Hi Enfys,

I’ve found your post a little while later so unsure whether you’ve already made your decision? I’m at the end of 3 weeks off work following surgery to remove my fallopian tube with the ectopic pregnancy, and my manager actually suggested a phased return when I was ready. I’m going back starting next Tuesday and just working mornings to see how I feel, but if I think I’m not coping, I won’t be forcing myself to stay in. I’m fortunate with how supportive my employers have been but our priority is to heal and care for ourselves through this journey. I hope you manage to find a solution which suits you x

Enfys

Post by Enfys »

Thank you Bo_Bemma. I have started back doing mornings only last week and it’s been tough but manageable. Doing mornings only next week too. I hope you find your return okay and as you say we have to prioritise us right nowx