By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Day 3 post-op

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Aonaranach

Day 3 post-op

Post by Aonaranach »

I’m day 3 following laparoscopic removal of my right tube and having more pain than expected.

It’s been a long ordeal. I had bleeding for a few weeks before suspecting it was due to an ectopic. Then I was seen for ultrasound and labs and followed expectantly for 3 weeks for PUL. I had a mass that appeared to be next to my ovary on ultrasound and couldn’t definitely be identified as the pregnancy. I bled heavily for about 4 days and then went back to spotting and consistent pain. Most nights I couldn’t get comfortable to sleep and I was unable to do much during the days. When follow-up ultrasound showed the mass larger despite falling hcg levels surgery was recommended.
The surgeon found what she expected, my tube had ruptured (I suppose before the first ultrasound) and the mass was a growing clot.
I’m writing now because I’m in a lot more pain than I was led to expect and my family is frustrated that I’m not getting better faster. I’m still unable to lay flat in bed or get up without help. I have burning pains down my left groin that aren’t near the incisions or the side where the tube was removed and I’m wondering if I have nerve damage. The smallest wrong movement will set the pain off, like reaching too far to the side or turning or lifting a glass of water. It burns and shoots down into my pelvis.
Does anyone else have experience of pain like this post operatively?
I can’t handle another bit of bad luck. I don’t sleep because as I fall asleep I have flashbacks to surgery and the nurse who cared for me when I was waking up telling me the embryo would have been sent to the lab for testing and I couldn’t have it for burial. There was an appendectomy before me and I keep thinking of it lying in the waste with someone’s appendix. And I keep feeling the tube in my throat and the instruments in my belly. My brother is here with his two baby daughters and I can’t get away because I can’t even walk on my own and I’m trapped in this nightmare

EPT Host 20

Re: Day 3 post-op

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Aonaranach,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy loss,
When we experience ectopic pregnancy we are suddenly faced with a life threatening emergency and it's treatment, reduction in fertility, concerns about the future and the loss of our babies. Experiencing any one of these is an ordeal, putting them together is immense and your feelings are completely normal. It can take up to 3 months to begin to process traumatic events such as these so please be kind to yourself.

Pain is different for everyone and I would suggest taking any regular pain relief as suggested by your medical team, but if your pain is uncontrolled despite this, please seek medical advice just to be on the safe side. Speak to them urgently if you feel unwell or are developing a high temperature or feel like you have a fever.
During surgery they can use gas to expand your tummy to make it easier for them to see, and this can cause a lot of discomfort for some people, especially in late and shoulders. Also whilst every care is taken of you during surgery,our muscles can become very relaxed and can cause pain afterwards.
I have added more information from our website here, but please seek medical advice with any concerns
https://ectopic.org.uk/physical-recovery

Regarding your baby, they are generally treated with the most care. If you would like to know more about this you can contact your hospitals Patient Advice Liaison Service (PALS) or chaplain who will be able to discuss this further.

Generally speaking following surgery, you should take it very easy for about six weeks. Your body will be using its energies to heal internally. It is normal to feel physically and emotionally exhausted during this time so please do be kind to yourself. Recovery can take time and some days will be better than others. One day you may be okay and the next you may be in discomfort or more emotional. This is perfectly usual and the healing process will go back and forth in this way for however long you need. It is important to listen to your body signals. Pain and feeling tired are your body signals to tell you to rest. We suggest keeping a healthy diet drinking lots of water and resting.

Be kind to yourself and allow time to grieve and heal both physically and emotionally,
We will be here for you for as long as you need,
Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
The EPT is awarded the PIF TICK as a Trusted Information Creator, the UK-wide quality mark for healthcare information
If the information provided here or through the EPT website has helped you, you can donate towards our support services, volunteer, or fundraise to raise awareness.
Further information is available on our website.
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back support line: 020 7733 2653. We are able to provide support in multiple languages including British Sign Language.
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list.
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Hawth7

Re: Day 3 post-op

Post by Hawth7 »

Hi, I had a very similar journey to you. I had a lot of anxiety after the operation and found myself not believing it was finally over, it was exhausting to feel like this. I was really tearful, found myself thinking a lot about the operation as I was rushed in which was scary.

I’m just over six weeks post op and can say my body and my mind is feeling much stronger. I haven’t any pains left and the scars are starting to fade a bit. I’m 4 weeks into some therapy which is going okay. I couldn’t picture feeling this well after the operation so I just want you to know that it can get better.

I’m anxious for the future, I have a two year old but would love another. I’m 36 and really hope it doesn’t take too long to for us next time around. I had methotrexate before the operation so we have to wait until December before we can try.

I hope you’re feeling a little better and getting time to heal.